Floating Facebook Widget

Saturday, January 4, 2014

Into The New Year With A New Calendar & Freebies

Happy New Year, my friends! I hope you all had a blast celebrating holidays. I did! :) Lots of cooking and baking! My husband made a traditional Canadian Turkey Dinner for Christmas. Mmm... And I cooked for New Years, as this is our big family holiday in Ukraine. That's our multi-cultural family. :) Now I am back on my low carb  and sugar free diet until the next holiday :)

I've been also doing a little work while on vacation creating lessons for my students. I thought a good project for my 3rd graders for the beginning of a new year would be a calendar project and I decided to go with it. I figured this would be a fun and meaningful project that will teach them organizational skills as well as time management skills. They can keep track of all the important events of their daily life, project due dates, and holidays. I decided it would be a good idea to get them in the habit of using a calendar now!

While there are plenty of amazing free printable calendars available on the web, just check out this  blog, I still decided to make my own. I created a yearly calendar and a cute horse craft to go with it, as a new 2014 is the horse year according to Chinese Zodiac (lets keep the children educated :)). This project is called Clothes Hanger Calendar Craft and is a part of my Calendar Packet on TPT. I've included a few topics my kiddos struggle with such as seasons and months posters and worksheets, as there is no major difference in months of the year and season changes where we live.
Below are some pictures of my product. You can also find it in my TPT store.







I pulled a couple of pages from the packet to give you as freebies. Click here to download.




I found some great activities from my fellow TPT sellers that can go with the Calendar Unit.
Here is a cute calendar center game "Seasonal Sort" for students PreK-2nd grade by TeachingResourceRe and "Time to Walk the Plank" calendar activity question cards for students K-2nd grade by Teaching Monkey/Head Monkey.


Seasonal Activity Sort {Expressive Language, Pronouns & Verbs}          Calendar Math Cards "Time to Walk the Plank"

I find it valuable to pack a variety of skills into each unit I teach. It's always great to incorporate some writing activities into my students' daily routine. Here are some resources for students 1st- 5th grade by Tonyas Treats for Kids and for 3rd -6th grade by Mrs Ds Corner.


Year Long Monthly Calendar Writing Prompts  Writing Through the Year - Calendar Writing Prompts - Jour

One of my favorite books growing up, was and still is "The Month-Brothers" by Samuel Marshak. I am definitely going to read it in class to my kids. Check it out on Amazon.





Thank you very much for stopping by! And thank you to all who are my new fans and old! I really appreciate your support!

Happy New Year and Happy Blogging! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment